Social Skills Tip of the Day – Sharing Toys
– Megan Lange, MA, ED, CDI Theraputic Group Specialist
– Bring sand toys, bubbles, cars, dinosaurs, a ball etc. to the park with you and your child.
– Tell your child ahead of time that the toys are to share with other children at the park. Other children will naturally be drawn to your child if he/she is playing with something interesting.
– Stay close enough to help facilitate sharing and bridging play themes between your child and others.
– Try to help come up with a common goal for the kids if necessary.
– Ex: “Do you think the dinosaurs would like to climb on a giant volcano? Let’s see if we could build one all together.”
– Help translate your child and other children’s intentions to each other if communication breakdowns arise.
Child Development Institute wants hear from you!
Do you have questions you would like answered by our team of therapists and developmental specialists? Do you have a story you want to share about how CDI has helped you? Have recommendations about our website, articles or more?